Thursday, March 5, 2009

More Riding...

<--Daisy takin a nap, shes a wild thing...

So since our first english ride, we've had 2 more! I rode again the next day, Tuesday, and then again yesterday, Wednesday. (hey, I know my days, aren't you proud? ;) )

So! Tuesday didn't go nearly as well as the first ride. First I had to catch her, she and her bf decided it would be fun to run amok while I and the little BIL tried to catch them. But I just kept cutting her off and looking at the ground and she got tired of that pretty quick and stood still. Yeah! Sometimes her laziness really comes to my advantage.

She was fine for tacking up, although it took me longer this time, trying to make sure I had the saddle in the right place. It is so much easier for me to feel like I have a western saddle placed right. It just seems like the girth on that saddle falls too far toward her belly, so then I have to move the saddle up, but then I'm like, hm, is it too far forward?? Lol, o well, we will figure it out. I also lowered my stirrups a hole (thanks Becca!).

Anywho, I get on and walk up to our circle area (which is a circle around the BIL's deer stand, lol) and she decides, uh uh, she isn't going to go! And she proceeds to kick out, stop, swish her tail, and basically throw her version of a hissy fit. Sigh, so I smack her a couple times, kick her a lot, lol, and finally we get going. At first I thought maybe something was hurting/bothering her with the saddle, or bridle. But then I learned she only started balking when we were going away from the car area, so she was just not wanting to do anything. As usual. So after that we did some trotting, which felt like trying to get a slug to run. She was incredibly lazy, and I was tired/sore from the day before still, and it just didn't go real well. I don't have a whole lot of problem keeping her trotting while I'm sitting, but posting?? Ughh, she can quit on me a lot easier before I can do anything about it. Oh well, working on it!

So I got her to go around a few times without breaking and called it a day. I did a bit of two point back to the car, not sure if I was getting out of the saddle enough tho.

Yesterday! Went a lot better. I went out early afternoon before work, parked the car, and called Daisy. Daisy looks, goes back to eating. Sigh. I wasn't hoping for much, lol. I gathered up the bridle and trekked out to her, armed with my apple! She moved a few steps but stopped pretty quick and then I gave her a bite of the apple. Yum she says! Brought her back to the car, and saddled her up, while she took a nap (she picture at top). Rusty of course was a little pest, trying to eat my car, etc. So hopped on and we did some walking both ways, no balking or fits! Yeah! Did a little two-point, and then trotted working on my position. Which was hard because she was slow as molasses again. She broke gait a lot, but I think did better then yesterday, so thats good.

One thing I'm worried about. In the video, she looks like she is favoring her right fore, see the head bob? Its after I take my sweater off towards the end when we're trotting. Is it just me? I don't notice it until then. :( I don't know...I was wondering if anything would show up after riding her 3 days in a row...she is getting older. :( I vaguely remember thinking she felt a little off at one point, but its hard to tell out there, the ground is so not even.
Am I seeing things??

Anyway, I had a good time yesterday, it was just her and me and the WARM wonderful weather. (although sweaty helmet hair, not so cool) Daisy was pretty happy about her apple too, lol. Shes a good girl.

Here's our video! I tried my best to shorten it down! You get to see us chase Rusty off, lol, and then at the end her eating her apple and me taking her saddle off, brushing, etc. Just a ride with us!

Daisy English Again...

Have a great day everyone, the weekend is almost here!

5 comments:

in2paints said...

I'm so jealous! You're getting in all this riding and I haven't been to the barn in days! It seems I'm busier without a job than I was with one! I'll be riding this weekend, though! It's supposed to be 75 degrees!

I love how Daisy practically falls asleep at the end of the video. She looks like she was really enjoying the brushing!

I think you stirrup length looks much better now. Your leg position looks good too. Is it easier to keep your leg back now?

I kept watching the video trying to see if Daisy was off, and I see the part where she's bobbing her head, but it seems like she was only doing it for a short time and then worked it out. Maybe she just took an off step.

So when is your first english show? :D

Michelle said...

She's so sweet and well behaved. She stood so nicely while you took your sweater off and unsaddled her in the end. I love the curious head that pops in at the end. Do you have spurs or a long dressage whip? Maybe give her a smack behind your leg when she doesn't respond to your leg? I remember with Kismet cause she was such a slug that at the posting trot, every time I sat I squeezed with my legs or nudged with my spurs. It kept her going at a nice consistent trot. I didn't notice her off, but I'm terrible at noticing it. They have to be grade 4/5 lame head bobbing for me to notice lol. Maybe give her a little flex test on the leg you think she's sore on next time!

Britnie - Riding During Naps said...

Lol, I know the feeling! When you get to go to shows and lessons, etc! I hope you get to have some great rides this weekend. Its supposed to be gorgeous here too, although I will be stuck at my dads rental house working all day tomarrow, boo!

Hehe, I know, she is so cute, she was really enjoying the sun that day!

Good! And yeah, I think I am having a better time keeping it back, its really nice when she will actually keep trotting and I can concentrate on it!

I hope it wasn't anything serious...I mean, its not like I'm working her even medium, we don't trot a whole lot...she does need to be trimmed so maybe she just tripped on the rough ground, off stepped, I dunno.

Haha! I dunno...but if there are english classes if we get to a show this year, I will def enter them! (with my spurs on!!) I'm game!

Britnie - Riding During Naps said...

Thanks Michelle! Yeah, she is a good girl most of the time! I love having a horse that will relax and go to sleep. Lol at Rusty, he is such a pest.

Ya, I do have spurs AND a dressage whip, I think I'll bring my whip with me next time, before the spurs, because I don't trust them a whole lot when I'm posting right now.

Ya, I have been doing that sit squeeze thing too, lol, it takes awhile to get back into practice! Sometimes it still doesn't work and she will stall out on me, sigh. Lazy butt!

Michelle said...

lol "stall out on me" like a car...