Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Mama-To-Be

MEET DARLENE'S BOYFRIEND:




His name is Chocolate Never Lies (Cisco). And yes, the big news about Darlene is she is going to have a foal!!

Hopefully! So I researched a ton about stallions, mainly just for the fun of it for like two weeks. And this guy kept coming up. I really liked his conformation and movement, plus he is supossed to have a really good/sweet temperament. 

So Darlene is generally in heat the last week of the month, or first. Well it was the last of the month this time apparently because when we had the vet check her we just missed ovulation. BUT, he gave me a shot to give her last Saturday that will make her go back into heat quickly, called short cycling her.

It worked like a charm! Today we went back to see where she was at and she is doing great and the vet said to tell them to collect the semen for me tomorrow, ship it, and it will be here Thursday to breed her. Yay!

This has been SO fun to learn about. I have never read or heard much about artificial insemination so this has been really educational. I have been reading anything I can get my eyes on. Besides asking the vet 20 questions lol. 

So after we AI her Thursday he wants me to come back Saturday to check her follicle. If she still has one we can dose her again with more semen. After that it's a 14 day wait to see if a baby is growing in there! So the 25th. Gonna be the longest wait ever! Well until we have to wait all the way until NEXT SUMMER to have a baby! Sigh. Horses have the longest gestation, I swear.

So that's all for now! I'll update again when I have more news!


No comments: