Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Riding Mr. Cisco?

I seem to have strange epiphany's while I am just on this side of sleep. I come up with the greatest ideas, think of all kinds of important things, and come to great conclusions at this time. I'm not the only one, right??

Anyway last night as I was laying in bed waiting to fall off to sleep I started thinking about horses. And my mind came back to a conversation I had with my mom a while ago. Something along the lines of "don't you want Cisco?? And you can give me Daisy!" I strongly protested to this idea, and it came up several times, all with my same reaction.

But last night it strangely started to make sense! And I kind of got excited! I need to flesh this out and think about it some more so I thought I would put down some pros and cons and would LOVE any and all opinions from anyone who reads this blog.

First lets do a 411 on Cisco for those who don't read my blog much.

Name: Dixies Cisco Kidd
Breed: Spotted Saddle Horse (out of a SSH sire and dam but solid, so not registerable)
Age: 12
Height: 16.2-3
Weight: ??
Discipline: Trail Riding

Trading Cisco for Daisy:

PROS:
1. He's younger
2. Gorgeous!! Tall and palomino with a beautiful tail
3. I've basically done all the training on him from when we got him at 4 months and up
4. No soundness issues
5. VERY easy keeper, with great hooves, in great health, grows a very strong winter coat
6. Been taken very good care of his whole life by my mom
7. He's a sweet boy, big baby, LOVES attention (unlike Daisy who would rather be left alone!)
8. No bucking! (I love that about most gaited horses, haha)
9. Smooth riding
10. He would be free!
11. Daisy gets to go to my mom who has a barn and babies her animals
12. My mom gets a smaller horse she can ride


CONS:
1. HE'S NOT A QUARTER HORSE - big main one
2. Pretty much has no formal training aside from 30 days at a trainers; woahs, gos and turns, thats it
3. TALL and CLUMSY, he has dinner plate size feeet and gets them tangled a bit
4. Not socialized much, he has been off farm and away from his mama only 3 times in his life. But the last time he was he did great. My teenage niece who is a very green rider took him to a horse camp for a week and he was such a good boy!
5. 'Hotter' then Daisy
6. All his tack has to be BIGGER. Although I'm sure mom would send his tack with him. It's just not that great of quality. I know, I'm a snob!
7. Never taught to carry a bit
8. If I wanted to sell him my mom would not be pleased
9. I have to trade Daisy :(
10. He is used to having a barn his whole life, all we have is trees!
11. He will be out with at least 2 other horses he doesn't know, not his mommy. At the trainers he went to for 30 days he got picked on pretty bad, so not sure how he would do. He would probably be ok with the geldings, but if I trade Daisy then Stormy will be alone...maybe she won't be mean to him??

So! Give me your thoughts! I have pretty much decided already, but would love to hear anything else. If I decide to get him it will definitely be after Christmas!

And to finish, some OLD pictures of Cisco boy! :)


About 6 months old!



Little guy at 10 months! 





Cisco and his mama! He is little over a year here. Dix looks so good!


Theres my QH mare I grew up with peeking out! He was such a lanky yearling!


First ride at 2 years!


And this is my niece at the horse camp with him, such a handsome boy!


So! I will let yall know how it all develops! Oh, BTW, that pleasure horse my FIL was looking at? Found out why he is so cheap. LAME. He has a shoulder injury. UGH, more deception! Dontcha think that would be nice to disclose in your for sale ad?? -_-

Till later!


2 comments:

in2paints said...

You're not having much luck with sale horses, are you? I wish people would be honest about what they're selling because it would save everyone a lot of time! Hopefully something nice comes up soon!

As far as trading Daisy goes, I guess it all boils down to what you want to do and which horse is better suited. If your mom was going to ride Daisy, why couldn't you just ride Daisy? Or do you want to ride a bunch, thus a younger horse would be better suited for you? He's definitely a gorgeous boy!

Britnie - Riding During Naps said...

I know! I mean seriously, its not just OUR time they waste, its their own!

Well yes, I do want to ride more, and Daisy just wants to be left alone. Its kind of depressing to ride a horse that you doesn't WANT to be rode you know? And my mom won't ride her much at all.

I think I would have a lot of fun with him, so we will probably work something out after Christmas, probably not a permanent trade at this point!