Wednesday, April 26, 2017

The Awesome Trail Ride and the Show That Wasn't

As in, didn't happen. Rain out!! :( :(

But I think it was for the best. Now we have more time to practice!

Anyway, Harold and I have been working hard the past two weeks. I have rode or worked him consistently every other day nearly. And he has done so well. Not getting sour and working through anything I ask him. He's consistently on the bit now at the walk but still working on our trot. But ever since our breakthrough at L's he has been getting softer and easier every time.

A few Saturdays ago my friend A and I went to a day camp she used to be the equestrian director of. It was SO FUN. I fell even more in love with my level headed QH. He is amazing. My husband is ALSO amazing. He worked hard to get my trailer primered that morning before I left! And I got my tack room half painted a beautiful teal color!!

The camp was about an hour away, and seemed longer, lol. Mostly because I didn't know where I was going. But we got there in good time. There were some goats and mini horses right behind where I parked the trailer that he was pretty interested in! But nothing too bad. A got there and had brought us lunch so we went and ate that in the barn while the horses chilled and ate hay in the stalls.

I tacked him up in his dressage gear first so we could work in the arena first and go through test B. He was awesome of course!! After that we went and I put him in his western gear for the trail! We rode one big loop around the lake and he did so good. Like this was what he was born for. Never got excited, upset, didn't care if he was in the front or back. LOVED the lake and would have went swimming with me if I let him, haha. We went through a bunch of deep puddles and creeks too and he couldn't have cared less. I LOVE HIM!!

He has this back cracking motor walk he does down the trail. It was almost uncomfortable to ride it was such a long stride! Lol, I bet he was trained to do that down the trail to keep up with the faster/hotter horses like Arabians and gaited horses. He never picked his head up above his withers the whole time. We even met up and were passed by a gator. He barely noticed.

So it was getting a tad late and Lee and I had halfway planned on a date that night. So we headed back and loaded up! Another uneventful trip home. He is obviously used to trailering long distances.

Here are a few pics from our adventure!

Driving into the camp area

He's so crazy

Harold: Hi?
Scarlett: NO.

Snake! hehe

I rode without stirrups most of the time. Stinking things
needed to be turned and were killing my knees. (lookit his
sweet face!!)
 So! This past Sunday we were supposed to go to our first horse show together. This is the same one I have been talking about that L wanted me to take Goldie to. Well the two weeks before I started to think that Harold would be ready to go instead, and I'd really rather take him with me. I mentioned it to L and she acted kind of skeptical. She told me later after my lesson last Friday that she had no idea he had made so much progress since she had seen him the month previous, and was afraid it wouldn't be fun for me my first show out.

Well! I trailered him down to her place last week and he was a star as usual. She couldn't believe how well he was doing and thought he would be great. She also said I was the best amateur owner she has seen in a long time! :D :D We went through both Intro A and B and then I even jumped him over a little cavalletti! He is so perfect! <3 a="" and="" as="" been="" before="" below="" braids="" can="" chance="" dressage="" fancy="" get="" had="" hadn="" has="" he="" him="" his="" i="" in="" is="" jumped="" l="" nbsp="" night="" on.="" out.="" p="" practicing="" riding="" see="" t="" the="" them="" this="" to="" you="">

The picture below is his first jump schooling! L mentioned on Friday that we could also do a cavalletti class if we wanted to at the show. Which is essentially very low poles on the ground you can just trot over if you want, in a little course, haha. I was like sure! So I thought, well let me get him out and see what he does over some jumps! I've been wanting to He was great of course. Mainly he wanted to just trot or canter over them, lol. I did get a few jumps if I pushed him!

 So anyway. My hubby had scrubbed the trailer for 2 hours the previous day. I it all packed, my clothes on and about to wake up the kiddos to get ready and L texted me to say the show was OFF. It had been raining all night at the show grounds and was raining again, so the arena was a mess. BOO. It was pretty disappointing, but I held it together! We went to church and then picked up a trampoline someone gave us. The girls had a blast. Then I got a nap and had an enjoyable evening!

Last night was my regular lesson day. It went well! I rode Charlie for the first time in months. He was much easier to ride now that I know what I'm doing even more. We did a few jumps too which was fun! It's been a while. It took me a bit to get back into the groove, but I did finally do a few good ones.

Well that's all for now! I haven't worked with Harold since last Friday at L's so we definitely need to get back in the groove. I hope to ride him tonight and maybe do a bit of pole work.

Until later!

Post a Comment