Monday, October 17, 2016

Horsey Happenings

So I have two weeks to catch up on! GAH.

Let's go over lessons first.

So week before last I was supposed to have a lesson with both ladies again but A had a drs appointment and K got stuck in birmingham traffic. So I got a private again! Which I really like about once a month or so.

Pretty boy Holster
So we mainly worked on jumping a course! FUNNN. Although I felt a little discouraged afterwards because I have so much to work on. My shoulders, my timing, my core (SIT UP) keeping the horse in a steady rythym. Remembering my next jump! I rode Holster again (he's such a sweet boy) and he was awesome. I basically just had to worry about myself thankfully! I have never really done a course before so it was definitely a new experience but so fun.

Last week poor A was out again with a skin infection so it was just K and I. I walked up and L told me to tack up Charlie. Inwardly I groaned. The first and last time I rode him he was a bit of a pill. And probably my least favorite of all of the lesson horses I've rode so far. Although he and London (the other grey) are running a close race.

'ello Charlie-face
So as I was tacking him up I was making sure to let him smell me, blowing into his nose also (yeah, I saw it on Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken when I was a girl and I've done it ever since when meeting a new horse, lol!) and being very courteous tacking him up etc, as usual. After I mounted I just chilled on him for a bit. Asking for tiny turns, a few woahs. All with the least contact I could. Not going out there with a mission and afraid of what a jerk he might be.

And I'll be darned if we didn't have a awesome lesson. He was like a different horse! I had a partner instead of a ticked off horse. We were even able to do some jumping and cantering. Yeah, on this horse the last time I rode him I would have been scared to death to do both of those things. L told me this time if I will give him a big half halt and then a big release he will slow down on his own. That you can't hang on his face. Holy moly, that was like a magic button. He would do just that. I'd feel him getting a tad rushy and half halt pretty firmly and then give him the reins and he would immediately slow his pace. It was great.

So we mainly just worked on position and conditioning again (posting without stirrups, etc) and then popped over a small cavalleti a few times while working on cantering out of it. It went pretty good! 


Oh, let me back up and tell you what saddle I'm riding in! My NEW one. :D It's a older Courbette Husar I bought for a measly hundred bucks! It got there right on time that afternoon so I was able to bring it to my lesson. It's old but in great condition and I love how I ride in it. My leg just goes right where its supposed to without me fighting it like in Collegiate Sr Event that L has. It has a small knee roll and the seat is pretty hard but I didn't notice it at all as I was riding and was not sore afterwards at all.

Courbette Husar
It has a 17.5 inch seat which I feel fits me and my long leg better. I think it could use a reflocking of the panels but will be okay for now. My only concern was when I tried it on mister Harold. It has a bit more of a banana shaped tree, which means it sweeps up at the back more. When I was lunging him with it on it was bouncing quite a bit in the back. But I also didn't have it girthed all the way down, I dunno. I'll have to just see next time. I rode him in it a bit but he was still ouchy so I just walked him in a few circles to give Shelby a pony ride.




So I finally found another farrier who came out last Wednesday. She is a barefoot trimmer, but will shoe if the horse needs it. She said the previous farrier basically SCREWED his feet all up, which is pretty much what I was afraid of and already knew. He put him on his toes and made him bruise all up. Sigh. Look at his poor sole!




So she fixed him up as best she could, though she said it would probably be another month before he was all healed. Sigh. Oh well at least it's giving me more time to get my riding muscles and position all in shape. 

Well that's about all! I have another lesson tomorrow so will try to update after, adios!


No comments: