Wednesday, September 7, 2016

My Lavender Junkie

More lavender please!
So I had Harold's 'masseuse' out Saturday! It was so good to see A again and catch up. (Fun fact, she bears a striking resemblance to actress Amy Adams! No joke.) I think I probably talked her poor ear off! And I was overly excited so I'm sure I said and did some goofy things. Hopefully she didn't notice, lol.

Anyway, we had a birthday party for my 4 year old nephew earlier that day so she planned on coming out at 2. Which worked great. I had just enough time to get home and change, and get him out and almost finished brushing him. If he hadn't rolled in the dust bowl in the pasture I would have finished! He was one big dust ball, bleh. So we walked him over to the round pen and worked him in there first so she could evaluatE and video him before and after. 

I had been wanting to work on his round penning again anyway so it was a good opportunity to see how much he remembered. He did great! Only had one wrong turn to the outside, which was probably my fault more then anything. I have also not round penned in a long time! Anyway we trotted and cantered both ways and then brought him back in. 

I started out holding him but ended up wrapping the lead around the panel because he kept trying to mug me for more cookies, lol.

First off she started with some different essential oils to see which one he responded to the best. The second one she tried was lavender and he was in love. So she let him sniff it a bit and rubbed some on his nose and then also used it with her massage. She said she had never seen one like lavender so much, lol! 

She said overall he looked good but had a bit of sorness in his right hip and right shoulder. Also some in his TMJ on the right, and lower back and poll areas. Which makes TOTAL sense because he has always been quite stiff to the right!

He seemed to enjoy it quite a bit, would take big sighs, or yawn, or lick and chew.



I'm so glad I got to have someone out to evaluate him. How many more horses could benefit so much from this?? When their riders think they are just being a 'pain' or not acting right on purpose. It could be simple stiffness and/or soreness!

I sent him around again both directions at both gaits again to see if he looked better and he totally did. He was tracking up awesome, reaching out with his shoulder better, and also picked up his correct lead no trouble. Yeah!

After that I took TOTAL advantage of her and had her help me through and watch me do some groundwork exercises. She's a lot more experienced in them and it was so awesome to have someone tell me what I was doing right, wrong, and help me when I got to a sticky spot. I've always had trouble with the correct steps when changing direction in lunging for respect. She helped me figure out what I was doing wrong and now I KNOW so I can stop doing it! (eventually maybe, haha)

After I finally let her go (lol) I grabbed my english tack and tried that out on him. I lunged him around a bit with it since for one he hasn't had any sort of tack on him in almost 2 years, and two he has never had english tack on him before. But he was perfect.

I brought out a english bridle I've had hanging in the closet for 10+ years to use with his d-ring snaffle. It took a bit of fiddling but I got it set for him.

So up I went! I'm not going to lie, I was kind of nervous! It had been so long since I rode him and there is very little security in a hunt seat saddle, lol. But he was great once again! I walked him about a bit and flexed him some. It took him a few to settle into the bridle but it wasn't anything bad. I only had a very short amount of time because the baby had woke up so I went ahead and asked for a trot. And posted! And Harold went, what the?! Haha, he never got upset but he was a little all over the place and you could tell he was very confused as to why I was going up and down, lol.

Here are a few pics and vids! My 6 year old is a pretty good photographer. ;)




Look how fancy!
So all in all very pleased!! It was a great day. I have some more exciting news I will share tomorrow if all goes as planned! Plus I need to update with my first group lesson! We got to JUMP! :-D

Adios!


No comments: